Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tangerine French Toast

tangerinefrenchtoast1_veganfling

tangerinefrenchtoast3_veganfling

Even in my pre-vegan days, I wasn't really a huge fan of french toast. I would never choose it over say, waffles or cinnamon rolls. I tried to make it at home a few times, but it always came out not quite right. My husband is a much bigger french toast fan than I am, so when I was given a sample of the Vegg to review, my first thought was to whip up some vegan french toast and see what happened.

tangerinefrenchtoast8_veganfling

tangerinefrenchtoast4_veganfling

The Vegg is a vegan product that is made to resemble egg yolks. It comes in a powder form, and you need to mix it in a blender with some water to get the correct consistency. Conveniently there was even a recipe for french toast included on the package! I decided to use this as my base recipe, and added some other flavors in for fun.

tangerinefrenchtoast5_veganfling

Tangerine French Toast
 makes 3-4 servings

2 tsp Vegg powder
3/4 C water
3/4 C almond milk
1 tangerine, juiced (about 1/4 C juice)
few drops vanilla
4-6 pieces bread - cut into thirds
vegan butter
for garnish: powdered sugar, maple syrup, tangerine slices

Mix together the Vegg powder, water, and almond milk together in a blender.
Pour this into a shallow dish. Stir in the tangerine juice and a few drops of vanilla.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and melt some vegan butter.
Slice your bread into strips and dip both sides into the liquid mixture. Fry the bread in the heated skillet, adding more vegan butter as needed. Flip to cook both sides until golden brown.
Top with powdered sugar, maple syrup and tangerine segments.

tangerinefrenchtoast6_veganfling

When I was mixing the Vegg powder in the blender I was surprised by how much it actually smelled like eggs. It's not a smell I'm used to anymore, so it was a little weird! I was worried the french toast might taste too much like an egg, but actually the end product was delicious! I think with all the other flavors going on and the fact that I covered the french toast with a nice layer of powdered sugar and maple sugar it was hard to go wrong. The tangerines were so perfect too!

tangerinefrenchtoast2_veganfling

I do think that you could easily make this recipe without the Vegg in there, but if you are really missing eggs in your dishes or for someone who is still transitioning to a vegan diet, I think this product could be very useful. I was happy to test it out, and I think I'll make this french toast again!

tangerinefrenchtoast7_veganfling

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

11 comments:

  1. your french toast looks perfect! i was never a french toast gal, either. i was a big stack of blueberry pancakes or belgian waffles gal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm! My mommy always made me french toast without any egg. And she left me cut the bread into shapes with cookie cutters before she toasted the bread. Oh...to be a kid again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These french toasts look amazing! i still havent tried Vegg fr the same reason. I think i might gag at the egg smell :) i am happy with flax almond milk french toasts right now. i want to add some tangerines to mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. As i was reading your post Justin was like "whats that?" me: French Toast
    Him: why don't you ever make me french toast? I LOVE french toast

    haha I feel the same way about FT as you do, apparently Justin feels the same way as your husband :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well you may have to make some soon. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Vegan Fling, would you like to submit your recipe into The Vegg Recipe Cookbook Contest? It looks awesome. rocky@thevegg.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you- the vegg is perfect for those transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and truly a great resource for those missing eggs in their diet. Your french toast looks absolutely stunning and the tangerines are a great addition. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this from the recipe in the Vegg Cookbook, and I loved it! I substituted clementines in place of the tangerines (it was what I had to hand) and it was so tasty. Thanks for a fantastic recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...