Thursday, October 11, 2012

Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad

As a part of Vegan MoFo I decided to dedicate my Thursday posts to recreating my family's favorite recipes - vegan style. My hope is that no one would be able to taste the difference!




Time for another family favorite recipe! This is a simple strawberry romaine salad with a sweet poppy seed dressing. My Mom used to make this salad all the time, and we all still love it. The dressing stayed the same but we'd sometimes mix up the toppings: blueberries and walnuts was another favorite combination. Feel free to make it your own, too.



Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad
This recipe makes a large batch of the dressing.
Cut in half if you are feeding less than 4 people.


1 C vegan mayonnaise
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
2/3 C sugar
1/2 C almond milk
2 T poppy seeds

1 head romaine lettuce
1 pt. strawberries, sliced
almond slivers

Whisk the vegan mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, almond milk and poppy seeds together in a bowl, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Chop up the romaine and arrange on plates. Add sliced strawberries and slivered almonds on, then top with the dressing.


I know fall is officially here and pumpkin and apple recipes are everywhere, but I just had to stick to my original favorite of strawberries in this salad! I'd bet some fall fruits would be great in here too though.
What fruit would you add to your salad?


Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

  1. even though it's fall, i still love this recipe. i think i'd mix it up with the blueberries and walnuts like you suggested. those are two of my favorite salad toppings!

    i also love poppyseed dressing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo delicious! I hope to buy some strawberries this weekend so that I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so delicious, especially with sweet, fresh strawberries! It looks wonderful! Has your family tried this veganized version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have not! I will have to make it again for our next event. I though it tasted exactly the same though. :)

      Delete
  4. This salad looks so yummy! Love poppy seed dressing with strawberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad looks so delicious I can hardly take it! Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i positively love the gorgeous fresh colors of this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite type of salads- fruit and poppy seed dressing! I love the blueberry walnut idea too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love fruits in my salad - Justin not so much! I like the idea of changing up a bit with the blueberries and walnuts :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...