Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Purple Cabbage & Carrot Sweet Slaw




I made this colorful slaw for a family get together. I loved the crunchy vegetables in a slightly sweet dressing.




Purple Cabbage & Carrot Sweet Slaw 
 serves 6-8, adapted from amee's savory dish

1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
1/3 C scallions, chopped
1/3 C pine nuts
 
3 carrots, julienned
2 10-oz cans mandarin oranges (save the juice)
2 handfuls dried cranberries 
4 Tbsp brown sugar 
1/2 tsp pepper 
1/4 tsp salt 
4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 
1 Tbsp mandarin orange juice 
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Combine the shredded cabbage, chopped carrots, pine nuts, scallions, cranberries, and mandarin oranges in a large bowl.

In a smaller bowl combine the brown sugar, pepper, salt, vinegar, mandarin orange juice, vegetable oil, vegetable bouillon cube and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined.

Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.





This is a great dish to bring to an event because it makes A LOT! I had more cabbage slaw than I knew what to do with. Good thing it was tasty!





I just signed up for Vegan MoFo! Anyone else participating and do you have any tips for me? This is my first year and I feel like I might be a little in over my head... :) 





Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. that is one gorgeous salad! i love the crunchy purple cabbage and all the orange colors mixed in:)
    i havent signed up yet coz i dont know how i will blog everyday:) and no theme yet too.. but like last year. i might just sign up on the last day:) its one crazy month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richa! I hope you will sign up too. I would love to see what you'd come up with to post for the month. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful salad. The colors make it so delicious looking..with the oranges..wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This slaw is so pretty!

    ...Vegan MoFo really intimidates me - I think posting everyday would be way too stressful for me, I find myself doing okay with 3 never mind 5 Yikes! October is so crazy busy for me at work, I can't wait to see what you come up with for MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I am totally intimidated about it too. =/ Hopefully I can come up with something good!

      Delete
  4. This is seriously one of the prettiest slaws I've ever seen. What gorgeous colors! I love the pine nuts in it too!

    I'm still thinking about MoFo. I had planned on doing it but other situations have come into play, and now I'm a little stressed about the idea of doing 5 posts a week. We'll see... I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy. :) It is a lot to do 5 a week. I am planning on making a few of the days a theme that doesn't involve me having to cook and prepare a recipe, because those take much longer to create. I'm sure if you do it you'll come up with something amazing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...