Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing


  
I am SO excited to share this post today. I think these cinnamon rolls are the best vegan sweet treat I have made yet! These were amazing, and I don't joke around about cinnamon rolls.


I found the recipe for the dough from this post by Kathy from Healthy. Happy. Life. I added in my own chocolate twist and was so happy with the results. This was the first time I had ever attempted home-made cinnamon rolls, and now I will never go back to store bought!



Cinnamon Rolls with Chocolate Chips and Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
vegan, makes 8-9 rolls
adapted from healthy happy life.

Dough:
3 1/2 – 4 cups white flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 stick vegan butter, melted (8 tablespoons)
1 cup almond milk
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
plenty of flour for kneading surface

Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
a few drops of vanilla extract
1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips

Topping:
2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
2 Tbsp brown sugar
 
Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, melted
1/2 tsp cocoa powder



 Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 
Combine the dough dry ingredients. Add in the liquids and knead into a ball.
Dough should be soft but thick enough to roll out into a one inch thick piece.
Too dry? Add a splash of almond milk
Too wet? Add more flour

On a floured surface, roll out dough to a loose rectangle shape. About 3/4″ – 1" thick.

Brush the melted butter over top dough. And a few drops of vanilla.

Sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar over the top. Evenly distribute the chocolate chips.

 Roll dough up from one end into a spiral tube.

Slice your rolls. About 1 to 1 and 1/2 thick.

Tightly place the rounds in a lightly greased dish. I used a 9 by 9 pan.

Add the topping layer of butter and brown sugar on top of the rolls.

Bake for 30 minutes.

While those are in the oven, you can make the icing.

In a small bowl melt the vegan cream cheese. Stir in the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.



Once the rolls are done, let cool for a few minutes and then drizzle the icing on top and serve.
 

If you aren't a big fan of icing, another variation would be to just serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top!
 
These would be great for a Mother's Day brunch! Hope you enjoy them. :)

4 comments:

  1. wow..these look perfect..I can imagine myself eating some right now melting in my mouth..mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! :) I need to make another batch soon...

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! Im always excited to see vegan versions of puddings and cakes I'll have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These tasted pretty amazing, let me know if you try them out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...